Wednesday, January 9, 2008

EXTREME CHRISTIANITY

Okay so I am finally sitting down to write a blog. These may be random thoughts but I guess that is what blogs are for right? I hope you can follow.
A few nights ago I heard a very disturbing fact which went along with some conversations I had with a couple of friends not too long ago. It seems to be a growing problem among Christians. Chuck Swindoll mentioned on his radio broadcast that he happened to stay in a hotel a week after a youth pastors conference. He says he always asks the front desk to remove all x rated movies from his room, not because he struggles with that particular thing but he likes to avoid any temptation that may occur. I guess he got into conversation with the front desk clerk and they told him that during the youth pastors conference they sold more x rated movies that week than they have in their hotels HISTORY!! I don't know about you but I almost fell out of my chair in disbelief.
This leads me into what I wanted to get across in this blog and that is, what is happening to Christianity? Why are we not sold out for Jesus? How are we letting Satan attack us like this? Where is the accountability? These questions have easy answers but our actions prove it must not be that easy. There are people that are not wanting to get to know Jesus because we are looking more and more like the world everyday.
I honestly believe that the Lord sent me to Oklahoma City, A. to get me out from where I was in my life which was not walking with Him and B. to put people in my life that would model what it looks like to live sold out for Him in every thought, in every action, in every attitude. I lived in these pastors homes, hung out with the college and youth and watched them live their day to day life. I feel very strongly about that because when I moved to the south I really struggled with people not living the way I was used to seeing. I believe God took me there first because He knew I would have probably fallen into the same trap that so many Christians have fallen into, tradition, religion,being a mediocre follower, etc.
People these days stand way to close to the edge of the cliff when it comes to so many things, whether it is attitude, gossip, finances, alcohol, eating, entertainment and the list goes on. "In moderation" everyone quotes. Sorry if I offend anyone right here but IN MODERATION WHAT. To me this is just an excuse people use out of the bible to give themselves permission to go down a road that they know they shouldn't even begin to think of walking down. Why not live ABOVE moderation. If it is something that we argue about why don't we just start erring on the side of holiness? God calls us who are in the ministry to live above everything, he holds us to a higher standard. Well we are all leaders, we are all in the ministry. If we are out there seeking after God and fishing for men to be followers of Jesus Christ then YOU ARE in the ministry as far as I am concerned.
There is a sermon I once heard that talks about making poor, good, better, and best decisions and the problem is most people walk around all day making good decisions which is one away from poor. Wake Up everybody and let's stop talking about being sold out for Jesus and DO IT! Let's get out hearts right. Lets start making BEST decisions, Go over and beyond what we are called to do. RUN from temptation and even if it is not a temptation for you and you don't struggle with it run from it anyway. If you have a glass of wine every now and then, no God is not going to condemn you but it's not glorifying Him either, why even go there. Do like Chuck Swindoll does and ask the hotel to remove certain movies from your room, don't go to lunch with the opposite sex no matter how long you have been friends, just don't even go there. Protect your spirit and what goes in it. Listen to Christian music or jazz something that doesn't talk about things that don't glorify God. The movies you watch, check them on the Christian website. DOES ANYONE HEAR ME? We can not let the Devil get a foothold, we've got to stop making excuses to why we are doing things in moderation. We have got to have accountability with each other. I have seen it, experienced it and people need to hear it. Even if it seems like a small thing to you like a song or a movie, just decide for God even though it is not a sin I am going to do everything I can to move closer to Him. This is for all of us including me. I am just trying to paint the picture. I hope you all can get what I am saying here, it's not just about praying more and reading the word more, yes we always need to do that. I am talking about shocking the world here and making holy decisions that will impact the world. They need to see we are different! If we do certain things in moderation then that's all the world sees but when we abstain from certain things THAT gets peoples attention. Do you know how many people have asked me why I don't go to lunch with men? or why I don't watch rated R movies or drink. It is a witness people I am telling you. We have all got to improve on this because we are going down quick. I need to make more progress on my attitude, the shows I may let slip and watch. We all have something.

Please know my heart when I talk about this. It is not a heart of judgement, only of passion to go to the extreme to be more like Christ, because he was definitely extreme!
Until next time, be accountable and transparent with someone you trust. Be bold and pray that God will convict you of every little thing that holds you back from being an extreme Christian! Peace out! Your thoughts and concerns are appreciated.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love you! Keep fighting for holiness and challengeing people to change, my dear wife. You are absolutely awesome.

--your hubby.

Anonymous said...

I can hear your voice speaking this post if that's possible. It's filled with passion. I'll just add the "Amen!" to the end. Well said.
Michelle

Rachel said...

Hey, I have been checking your blog--I found it through LEW's--hope that's OK. I loved what you had to say so much I decided to go from 'stalking' your blog to commenting. You are so right, if we would just stop making those little compromises God could do so much more in and through us. The church is suffering because more believers aren't aiming for holiness. Thank you for sharing your heart.

I'm so glad to see you are doing well. It seems like there are quite a few people from our class that have found their way back to the Lord! Praise Him!

Blessings,
Rachel Whitesell Pittman