Sunday, October 12, 2008

Verses That Spoke Loud

I had a couple verses this week that I really felt God speaking to me, so I thought I would share them. Sometimes I feel like God speaks so loudly from His word especially when I am in a situation where I know I need to be seeking Him but I'm not. I am doing a Beth Moore study right now with a friend, A Woman's Heart God's Dwelling Place. (I don't know if you are looking to get into a bible study and don't know which one, but this is very good!) So I was doing my bible study out of obedience and not wanting to be behind when we had our next meeting and of course as I am in this stubbornness I guess you could call it, God just turns my head upside down.
Here are the verses

Romans 13:13-14 -- We should be decent and true in everything we do so that everyone can approve of our behavior. Don't participate in wild parties and getting drunk, or in adultery and immoral living or in fighting and jealousy. But let the Lord Jesus Christ take control of you, and don't think of ways to indulge your evil desires.

(I put emphasis on the part that really spoke to me)

This is such a simple verse but I guess it spoke to me so much because of what I was dealing with at that moment. Mostly the part about being decent and true in everything we do so that everyone can approve of our behavior.

I don't know about you, but it really convicted me about some things that I know God has personal asked me not to do and also I know that I don't look at everything I do, every word I speak, asking is this true and decent so that everyone approves of my behavior. Wow. I don't know about you but I can confess that Ill go all day not wondering if something I am doing is not being approved by someone especially a non believer. Sometimes I think we go around and do things that are very small to us and don't think it is a big deal when in reality we need to let God take control of everything in our lives. Some of the things listed in this verse may sound pretty harsh but some other evil desires may be gossiping even if you think something you are saying is innocent, spending too much money, trying to take over a situation that you know you cant do anything about, judging, being a hypocrite etc.

What is your evil desire? They may be different everyday, I know mine are. I want to pray that we would put ourselves on the back burner and ask God to keep us conscious of the things we are doing, around others and behind closed doors. Would everyone approve of your behavior and yes it really does matter. Some people will come to know the Lord Jesus through our behavior. That's a tough one to swallow for me.

Lord please help me to see everything I do that is not pleasing to you and that may not be approved by others. I do not want my behavior ever to be the cause of someone not choosing You! Lord, Take control of my life right now so that my sinful nature will not. In Jesus Name. Amen

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow, this spoke to me. I live in a world of non believers and I have to constantly remind myself that the only Jesus they may ever see is through my life. This really gave me even more to think about. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl,

yeah i really love this post.

The hard part though, is that there is no way that we can live in such a way that EVERYONE approves of our behavior. I mean we could, but we'd probably be Amish. Like dancing - there are handfuls of people at my old church that don't approve of dancing, but i like to get my groove on. is it wrong for me to dance, since they don't approve? Just food for thought.

I love the heart behind your thinking though - we have such moral influence over others we encounter!