Tuesday, June 23, 2009

We Can If Joseph Can

I am reading the book Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Tedd Tripp which I believe is the best parenting book ever. What makes it so good is he backs everything he says up with scripture. That’s not why I am writing this blog today though. I mentioned his book because something I read in it today hit me so hard I thought people really needed to hear this message. This is not about parenting.

I have always been fascinated with the story of Joseph in the bible. He is such a man of God yet been through more than any of us could probably imagine. Read with me this excerpt from the book Shepherding a Child's Heart
“Think of Joseph. His childhood experience was far from ideal. His mother died while he was young. He was his father’s favorite. His dreams inflamed his brother’s hatred. He was further alienated from them by his father’s gift of a coat that set him apart as their authority. His brother’s betrayed him. He was thrown into a pit. Opportunistic slave traders bought him to profit from his resale value. He was double-crossed in Potiphar’s house despite his honor and integrity. He was imprisoned. Even there he was forsaken by those whom he had helped. Here was a man you would expect to be bitter, cynical, resentful, and angry. If man is only the sum total of influences that shape him, that would have been the result. Instead, what do we find? When his brothers threw themselves on the ground, begging for mercy, Joseph said to them “don’t be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. So then, don’t be afraid. I will provide for you and your children. And he assured them and spoke kindly to them” (Genesis 50:19-21)
How do we explain Joseph? He had a lens through which he viewed all the events of life. In the midst of difficult shaping influences, he entrusted himself to God. God made him a man who responded out of living relationship with God. He loved God and found his orientation not in shaping influences of his life but in the unfailing love and covenant mercies of God.”
I encourage you to read the whole story of Joseph because there are many details in the story that were not mentioned here. Every time I read it I find myself on team Joseph pulling for him. Here is a guy that was sold into slavery by his on blood and yet the way he responded to them when they found him and needed him was only out of a relationship with Christ. The reason this story struck me so hard today is because my heart was burdened knowing there are so many people out there that hold on to the things that happened to them in life and they let it shape them instead of entrusting themselves to God and responding as Joseph did out of a living relationship with God. I was burdened knowing that so many people waist away there life because they hold onto the events or people that have hurt them in life, whether it is in the form of bitterness, resentment, or any other emotion that goes along with holding on to those things. It is so true that we have to let go and approach these people and situations in a way that God intending them for good or we miss out on the blessing for ourselves and we miss out on blessing others. We don’t realize that we are not only hurting ourselves but there are people around us that need to be saved, that need to hear our story and how God pulled us out of it. God always allows things to happen to us so that he can ultimately get the glory. We also have to remember that sometimes we go through things because they are consequences of our past choices. Not always but if that is the case we have to realize it and move on. I feel I can write on this subject because God has brought me through and given me victory in this area and I believe that is why I had such a burdened heart for others when I read this passage in the book. I have come to a place of peace in this area knowing that even though I have had people that were not there for me during life, that doesn’t mean I am going to continue blaming that person for their actions or live with unforgiveness in my heart nor am I going to punish that person. As a Christian, God has truly taught me that it is my job to take every opportunity I can to show them the unconditional love that Christ shows me so they will hopefully see Jesus in me. I may be that persons only hope to Christ. I refuse to be that person who lives in regret one day because I didn’t do the right thing. I don’t know what your situation is or if you have ever had to deal with any hurt but It has been a burden on my heart this week and then reading that passage I knew God was speaking to me to speak out. I just encourage you to let go of whatever it is because no matter what emotion you have toward that person or situation, it does not matter. What matters is how you respond.

No comments: